THIS ITEM HAS SOLD
This vintage porcelain jar is from F. Thomas Porcelain of Bavaria, Germany. The jar has a striking Asian themed design, with an orange dragon and lots of gold and orange starbursts. The jar has painted gold handles on both sides and a matching gold finial.
Porzellanfabrik Thomas & Ens was founded in 1904 by Fritz Thomas, in Marktredwitz (Bavaria). Five years later, the porcelain factory, at the time called F. Thomas, Marktredwitz, was acquired by Rosenthal, but continued with its own production mark. In 1960, porcelain production ceased at the Marktredwitz Thomas factory.
The marks on the base of this date this piece from 1939-1952. A green "Thomas" shield mark with the red style/pattern numbers "4223 99" is printed on the bottom of the jar.
This beautiful canister has no chips, cracks, crazing or damage. The gold trim shows no wear. A mint condition piece!
DIMENSIONS: The jar measures 5⅛" tall at the rim or 7" with the lid on, and 5⅜" in diameter.
PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF MEASUREMENTS, AND E-MAIL OR CALL IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT SIZE OR CONDITION.
ABOUT F. THOMAS PORCELAIN:
In 1898, JAEGER, THOMAS & CO. formed the first porcelain factory in Marktredwitz. Their company manufactured household and decorative porcelain, tea & coffee sets, and gift-ware in Germany from 1898 until 1902. Their mark was a JCT with 2-three leaf clovers (like the Jaeger & Co. mark, only with the addition of a “T”). In 1902, Jaeger left to create his own successful career and Fritz Thomas left as well and founded Markt Redwitz Thomas & Ens.
They were in production from 1903 -1908 (their mark has “Thue MR” inside the shield). Ens left this partnership and Thomas continued on as Porzellanfabrik F. Thomas. Around this time F. Thomas had caught the eye of the Rosenthal Co. in Selb.
The F. Thomas for Rosenthal mark - which began use in 1953 - is the shield shown with the R inside, or sometimes modern-looking marks which simply say Thomas Bavaria without the shield and urns.
Sometimes the Fritz Thomas or F. Thomas Porcelain mark has the word Sevres, Bavaria, Ivory, or Thomas Ivory. In 1908 the mark simply said Thomas inside the shield with the little urns on the sides.
ABOUT ROSENTHAL PORCELAIN:
Phillip Rosenthal (1855-1937) began business in 1884 by purchasing white ware from Hutschenreuther and selling designs, hand-painted by his wife Maria, door to door. In 1891, he established a factory in Asch, Bohemia and began production of white ware for use in his workshop. From 1897 to 1936, Rosenthal acquired factories in Kronach, Marktredwitz, Selb, Waldenburg, Sophienthal, and Waldershof. The popularity of the Maria White and Moss Rose patterns helped the business grow rapidly. By the time of WWII, Rosenthal operated 10 companies and employed over 5,000 people. When the war ended, Rosenthal’s son, Phillip, returned to Germany where he modernized out-of-date factories. Phillip quickly rebuilt the business by reaching new markets interested in the modern shapes and artistry of his dinnerware.
Rosenthal Germany Mark - Ca. 1953 to present
This is one of many marks used by Rosenthal on various lines. The same crown mark without the word Germany below dates from 1907-1956. (Reference for Rosenthal: Kovels' New Dictionary of Marks)